Sunday, February 27, 2005

Recipe: Andy's Pancakes from FLAVORED WITH LOVE


FLAVORED WITH LOVE Posted by Hello

Recipe: Andy's Pancakes

One of my favorite pages in
FLAVORED WITH LOVE is the source of the pancake recipe below.

Andy’s Pancakes
1 egg, well beaten
1 cup flour
½ teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 tablespoon sugar
2 tablespoons cooking oil
1 cup buttermilk (but I always put a little more)
Mix the dry ingredients. Add the wet ingredients. Pour the batter for a cake onto a hot greased griddle. Cook until the cake bubbles and then flip it. 12 medium size pancakes.

Andy Hurst is the Associate Pastor of Trinity United Methodist Church. In his sermon Face to Face with Faith (Luke 18:35-43) he discussed his culinary skills:

I do a little bit of cooking. Mostly I do breakfast stuff.

On Mondays I make breakfast burritos; on Tuesdays we have pancakes and we even make our own syrup: 2 cups sugar, 1 cup water, 1 teaspoon mapeline;
Wednesdays Power Breakfast; Thursdays Banana Muffins: ½ cup Crisco®, 1 cup sugar, 1 egg, 1 ½ cups flour, 1 teaspoon baking soda with 2
tablespoons warm water, 3 bananas, 1 teaspoon nutmeg, 1 teaspoon salt, 2 teaspoons of vanilla.

Now I'm not the smartest cook in the world, but I have been noticing that several of the things that I cook have four common ingredients: Most of my recipes have eggs, sugar, flour and baking soda. My hunch is that if those four ingredients are used over and over again, they will make for a fullness of my waist.

Four ingredients, if they are used over and over again, will lead not to a fullness of waist but to a fullness of life.

All of these ingredients are found in the life of the blind beggar who cried out to Jesus. When these ingredients are all mixed together, added together, it is a guaranteed recipe for a transformed life.

The first ingredient of a transformed life is our need. The second ingredient of this man's transforming faith was the object of his faith.

The third ingredient of the man's faith is perseverance. The fourth ingredient to a transformed life is risk.

"Jesus, Son of David, have mercy on me!" When the blind man took the risk of faith he received a priceless gift, an awesome purpose and a life of praise and the same thing will happen to you and me.

This morning, I want to ask you to make that prayer your prayer. Get in touch with your need, turn to Jesus and take the risk of faith and open your life up to His mercy.

Remember mercy is kindness and empathy toward you and His mercy is found in His willingness, His desire to act, to work in your life.

No comments: