Friday, March 25, 2005

Recipe: Ruth’s Cabbage, Potatoes, and Carrots

My sister Ruth is known throughout south Mississippi as an outstanding cook. She has won many prizes. When I told her about the plethora of cabbage, potatoes, and carrots at my house, she made the following suggestion:

Ruth’s Cabbage, Potatoes, and Carrots
1 medium head green cabbage
5-6 medium potatoes
5-6 medium carrots
4 tablespoons butter
Salt to taste
Black pepper to taste
1 cup water

Thoroughly wash the vegetables and cut them into large chunks. Place all the ingredients in a heavy stainless steel pot with a good lid. Cook over high heat until tender.

She insists that is all she does. She can make the simplest foods taste special. All Ruth’s food is always irresistible.

More about Ruth: She is still not feeling well at all. Please pray for her as she struggles to recover from surgery for renal cell carcinoma.

1 comment:

Mary Lou Cheatham said...

Comment:

Mississippi Cook, Louisiana Sister, Texas Friend

My sister can make her food taste good without adding spice. I suspect that she adds more spice when nobody is looking. When I cooked Ruth’s Cabbage, Potatoes, and Carrots, I made a few additions:

2 small onions
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
2 teaspoons seasoning salt
Dash red pepper

Then I fed it to my Texas friend. He liked it after he adjusted the flavor by sprinkling it with the following:

Hot curry powder
Rice vinegar

Then he said, “Next time I have this, I’m going to add some hot pepper sauce.”

The cabbage, potatoes, carrots, and onions caught at the Metairie Irish-Italian Parade have been blessing our bellies and palates all week.

Thank you for praying for Ruth. She is starting to feel better and talk sassy like her old self.