Saturday, August 06, 2005

Is That All There Is?

Please accept my apology for falling behind on my commitment to you to publish a recipe here almost every day. I took a mission trip to Alberta, Canada, with a group of 25 people, and I've been away from my computer and kitchen. I loved seeing a doe with her twin fawns, a buffalo, the hay fields, and a huge bear. The mountains were magnificent.

Before returning to Louisiana, we went sightseeing at Waterton National Park and Glacier National Park.

As we were riding along through the mountains, I told Holly, Lisa, Julia, Melanie, and Marie that these mountains were quite a bit higher than Driskill Mountain, the highest point in Louisiana. Driskill Mountain is only a few miles from Ruston, where I live.

Thinking about the mountains in Canada and Montana reminds me of a story I heard recently. Some people came from Lafayette, LA, which is down south in deep Cajun country, to visit north Louisiana friends. Down there, they call north Louisiana "Up North". While they were here, they requested to go see Driskill Mountain. Here in Louisiana, we are proud of our mountain. Most people in other parts of the United States do not know that we do have our own mountain. It is 535 feet above sea level.

(Local people say there is a hill near Athens, Louisiana, that is 600 feet above sea level, but we keep that information a secret. We cannot afford to rewrite the geography books and maps.)

Anyway, back to the mountain. The people from Lafayette were treated to a tour of the mountain. Sensing their disappointment, the hostess asked them what was wrong.

The south Louisiana folks said, "Is that all there is? Where's the gift shop?"


Get This Amazing Southern Cookbook, Flavored with Love, Now!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

About that hill near Athens--I'd love to find some more information. I did find some information on the Internet stating that the highest point in Claiborne Parish is 529 feet. ML