Thursday, April 30, 2015

Two Families--Many Dreams. A Mother's Day Gift to You.

For Mother's Day, I am offering The Dream Bucket, my newest e-book, as a free gift to you, May 8-12. If you already have this book, please write me a note as a Facebook message. I'll send you another gift. (No strings attached--I simply want you to have something new and inspiring to read.)

When the time gets closer, I'll remind you about this freebie.

The Dream Bucket is a story about a newly-widowed young woman with two children, ten-year-old Trudy and twelve-year-old Billy. Trudy doesn't think her mother has enough knowledge and intelligence to take care of the family. How can this woman in a savage frontier life survive and protect her children?

Here's a brief excerpt:

With King stationed on the porch, the little family faced the dangers of their first night in the shack.
Nothing had ever hurt Trudy the way it did that moment. “I love you, Mama.”

“I love you, Mama,” Billy echoed.

If only her mother had more sense about what they needed to do, they’d survive.

“We’re going to get through this.” Mama spoke with force. “I love both of you.”

In lantern light, they sorted through the piles. Trudy found something to lay out to wear the next day, a happy yellow dress with a big skirt. She took it to the back room and closed the door behind her so she could try it on.

“How do I look?” Trudy prissed in front of the lantern light.

“Baby girl, you look lovely. Come on, Billy J. Let’s find something for you to wear tomorrow.”

He held up some work dungarees and a khaki shirt. “I’ll try these.”

The pants fit, but the shirt, which was oversized, lacked two buttons.

Mama rummaged until she pulled out a dress that needed the hem mended, but she had no needles, thread, or time. Neither did she have any pins.

“You’ll look pretty,” Trudy said. They’d go back to MacGregor’s Mercantile in a day or two to buy essentials for sewing.

No comments: