Thursday, December 31, 2020

Love Letter to Trudy

An American soldier holds his rifle as he writes a love letter. Wkadtskaw Theodorer Benda drew this picture using charcoals in 1919.  <Benda, Wladyslaw T. , Artist. Soldier Writing Letter. , 1919. Photograph. https://www.loc.gov/item/2010715107/> It represents a romanticized idea of what the war was like. Seldom were the soldiers neat and clean with unblemished hands.  




Here's part of a love letter Trudy received from her soldier in the trenches:

My dearest Trudy,

As soon as I had a chance, I opened the note you sent me and memorized it. I miss you so. I cannot forget the wonderful imes we had together.

When I rest, I let my tears flow. My heart aches for you.

Remember we'll be apart for only a short time, and then we'll be together again. What a wonderful life we will share!
















No comments: