Monday, October 19, 2020

Tomatoes in Our Back Yard

 

My husband and I are new to west Texas. Throughout the summer of 2020, we’ve lived like hermits to avoid Covid 19. Since we seldom traveled, we decided to farm in the back yard. Our garden consisted of a few large flowerpots.  

These Beefsteak tomatoes are normally
      huge, but since they are a late crop,
       they didn't grow big before ripening
.

In the extreme heat we found it necessary to sprinkle copious amounts of water on our potted plants morning and evening. Our tomato plants survived but yielded no fruit. When the weather started to cool, they blossomed.

And then the little red tomatoes had blossom rot. We’ve been grinding eggshells to prevent it. Some articles I’ve read say applying eggshells to the soil won’t prevent blossom rot, but we have evidence it does help.

Now, we have delicious tomatoes to add to our salads.

In the meantime, I have been writing a novel set in 1917 and 1918. To guarantee authenticity, everything requires research. I’ve heard that people did not eat tomatoes in Europe and the United States until the 1800’s. If my characters ate tomatoes, I needed to be sure I was writing something that really happened.

Release date 11-11-2020
Available at discount
until then
This sentence appears in  Letter from Belleau Wood

"Sue made cathead biscuits and tomato gravy with thick bacon. She poured steaming coffee into four mugs."

Having grown up in the 1940’s and 1950’s, I knew one of the popular meals in rural Mississippi was the one described in the above quotation. My grandmother taught my mother to cook biscuits and gravy. I couldn’t verify though that my grandmother in the early 1900’s ate tomatoes. My father, born in 1898, refused to eat raw tomatoes.

Through research I discovered that the taste for tomatoes evolved and grew during the nineteenth century. The Globe tomato, which is still a popular variety, appeared first in 1906.

Here’s an interesting article about the history of tomatoes in Grit, Rural American Know How: 

"The History of Tomatoes in America"

No comments: