Wednesday, September 02, 2020

An Inteview with Cam Dockery, Chainsaw Sculptor

 Interviewing 

Cam Dockery

texassaw1@gmail.com
806-778-9353

www.TexasSaw.com

Bearly Making It Chainsaw Carving

1. I read somewhere it was apparent when you were only six  years old that you had artistic talent. How did you get started carving?
-I have always enjoyed drawing and I have enjoyed that my whole life.  Although, carving is different because it is like drawing a picture a thousand times from different angles.  I also enjoy building things and carving is a really good way for me to do that!  

2. Where did you perfect your skill? Where did you study, and who taught you?
-I am self taught, I do not know if I will ever perfect my skill.  For many years I carved once a month at Post Trade Days, there I was asked to carve many different types of things.  That was in the early 2000’s and I continue to enjoy the carvings that are special orders.  I have been carving for 20 years and have made over 8000 carvings.  

3. What is your favorite object to carve?
-Something that is unique about me is that I will carve really large carvings.  I have done carvings that were 30 feet tall.  Military carvings are very special.  Memorial carvings for loved ones who have passed away are also special.  The most important are the carvings of Jesus and other Biblical subjects.  Normally it isn’t so much the subject I am carving but it is the reason it needs to be carved. 

Levelland, TX, 3 ft.
4. How long have you been chain-saw carving?
-20 years

5. Do you carve full time? 
-Yes, The name of my business is Bearly Making It and we have been in business for 20 years in Whitharral, Texas.  

6. How wide is  your territory? In other words where are the places farthest away your work is on display?
-I do on sight carvings all of over Texas, New Mexico and Colorado.  I have sent carvings to every state in the United States and also to England, Australia and Japan.  We ship UPS and can usually get an order to you in a few weeks.  I provide the wood. 

7. Is this work or play? Explain.
-I enjoy carving but I also take it very serious.  Although no one really needs what I make, when someone calls with an order, I do my best to make them happy. 

8. Do you prefer to cut down your own trees?
-I prefer to pick out my own logs but I don’t necessarily cut down trees anymore.  I am very picky with the logs I use.

Taos, New Mexico, 5 ft.
Taos, New Mexico, 5 ft. 
  9. How does your wife help you with your business? 
-First of all she is typing this.  Lol!  She also does the website and any social media for our business.  My wife is a school teacher at Whitharral ISD and has taught for 20 years.  We have two sons, an eleventh grader and a sixth grader.   They are very involved in school and school sports and have been around the business their whole life.  

10. What are  your long term goals?
-I want to be able to say that my carvings made each customer happy and that each customer felt important when they left.  

Thank You!
                                                         Roosevelt High School Eagle 

No comments: