Wednesday, June 17, 2020

Story of HOUSE OF SEVEN Book Cover



The HOUSE OF SEVEN book cover has a story behind it. Jamie Hill Robinson, my cousin by marriage from Taylorsville, Mississippi,  received a picture from her cousin Mary Jordan, who was my classmate for twelve years. The original picture that Jamie posted on Facebook was of a house in the town of Taylorsville. Mary had found it in a shoebox of snapshots. In front of the house were some unidentified women dressed as if they belonged in the early twentieth century.
With Mary's permission, I had the picture designed as the cover. My stepson, Dan Cooke, who has artistic ability, flipped the picture, removed the people, replaced the front fence with abstract plants, added a smoke stack from the chimney, and made front door steps. Since I wanted some color, I added the words, "Covington Chronicles, Book Six," in red.

NOTE: Even though HOUSE OF SEVEN is sixth in the series, it stands completely independent of the stories that precede it. 

The old picture of the house is fascinating. Some of my friends in Taylorsville have told me they recognized the house. It must have been a lovely home in its day. This old Mississippi home has a touch of elegance, as do the lovely ladies standing in front of it.

The characters in the novel, as well as all the Covington Chronicles people, and the events of the stories are not intended to be historical depictions or accounts of anything in Taylorsville, Mississippi, my hometown. (Actually I grew up between Taylorsville and Hot Coffee.) To keep readers from looking for historical clues, I changed the name of Taylorsville to Taylorsburg.

House of Seven  -- Paperback, Kindle, Audible  

No comments: